Monday, September 1, 2008

Just Ducky

Being the first post, I understand that expectations might be high for this one, but that's not the point. The point is to try to accurately paint a picture of a topic or story. Today I wanted to write about something that happened once or twice a year as I was growing up. It was Mom's time to shine "professionally", Dad's time to fish the clothes racks from the nail-covered attic and my time to hide in those racks once they were loaded with some of the most obnoxious clothes to date. It was time for Just Ducky.

For those of you who like history, it appears the name Just Ducky was lifted from an old Hanna Barbera short which featured ducklings. The story goes that there was one duckling who hatched too late and by the time it realized that it was behind and needed help, its mother was too far away. This story is pretty accurate and offers insight into how children who wear these clothes might feel once they go into public. Like the lost little duck, these unsuspecting children are already so far behind the curve that there is nothing their mother can do to help. They just have to stand strong in their all red sweatsuit and hope that the plaid terrier on the breast of the sweatshirt helps guide them on their solo journey because no one else will come close.

Maybe a little dark, but so were the Just Ducky times in both mine and Kristin's life. We had to wear those clothes and pose in the matching pictures. The poses were always so ridiculous; like back-to-back with our arms crossed and heads cocked. Mom loved it and even though she knew the Romeiser family was mocking us, she just kept on snapping those pics.

For those of you not lucky enough to know it, Just Ducky is a classic clothing company that was created for housewives with nothing to do to feel like they were mini-business women. Mom loved Just Ducky. Dad did not, although we both enjoyed spending the time together in the attic pulling the racks out from the depths of the musty space. I especially liked it when Dad hit his head on the support beams. Somehow he managed to avoid those nails. It was a talent of his. He always gave such animated reactions. Kristin was neutral from what I can remember. Mom loved it because she got to put the money saved from the sales into her torn brown wallet and constantly refer to it as the "Just Ducky money". I always heard about this money. I never knew how much she made from it nor would I have understood the number anyways, but I know she loved to talk about her Just Ducky money like it was a trophy. The Just Ducky money was never supposed to be spent on day-to-day expenses. It was there only for bragging rights and being a solid show-stopper.

"I paid for that with the Just Ducky money" or "Let's go to Atlanta. We can spend the Just Ducky money".

I remember these sales fondly though. Middle-aged women from the area would flock to our living room and go from aisle to aisle looking at the jumpers, dresses and matching outfits for their children. They would look at the clothes that were draped from the racks and furniture and if they found the right set of clothes that would embarrass their child just enough, then they headed through the french doors to the dining room to make the purchase. I would usually spend my time sneaking from rack to rack and hiding there while thinking that the customers were clueless. It was fun. When the clothes would be shipped to the house, they would be in huge boxes. Those boxes would turn into cool forts, TV-watching furniture and on more than one occasion, play places for the numerous rodent pets we had. I would look forward to the boxes.

The owner of Just Ducky had this to say about the hostesses.


Just Ducky hostesses are a distinctive group of women. They are energetic, connected to their communities and interested in an opportunity that allows them flexibility and family time. Just Ducky customers are women who desire high-quality children's clothing designed to their specifications. Our market now stretches from shore to shore and we continue to look for bright committed women to host our shows. We will continue to focus on custom-made clothing that reflects a mother's taste and a child's whimsy and we hope that women will be inspired by our line of clothing and want to share it with their friends and family.

I think our hostesses get a lot of pride out of representing a high-quality line that you can't just find anywhere. They appreciate customizing the clothing and they really work with their customers to design great garments, and to make families coordinate and match each other. We are very lucky when we find someone who wants to be a Just Ducky hostess, because we know that it takes a special woman who has a certain knack for appreciating just the product we offer. We love our Hostesses!


I can't remember the dates that she sold these clothes, but I can say that the Internet probably has destroyed the hostess business. Too bad, huh Mom?

I have complained a lot about Just Ducky over the years but they have provided many jokes and in the end it was a fond memory.

-George

FROM HARRIET

Wait a minute. Those clothes were awesome and, as a matter of fact, Kristin has bought some for Hattie already! I started my Just Ducky shows when Kristin was 7 and George was 3. George, you were completely fine with all of those clothes until you reached maybe age 5. They were fun because you and Kristin could match...I will look for some pictures to post to remind you...I know I can find the red sweatsuits with the Scottie's! By the way...I have saved all of these clothes for my grandchildren....but if you do not want yours, George!

Anyway I sold Just Ducky for 13 years! My Just Ducky $$ was very important to me and our family. It bought new berber carpet for your bedroom, George, after you soiled your carpet so many times it was disgusting! It bought a new sports coat and shirt and tie for your Dad for his birthday and paid for a big chunk of one of our Captiva trips. My Mama always talked about her "sock" money and the torn wallet you referred to was her "sock" money wallet so that is why I always wanted to use it too.

I actually had 4 Just Ducky shows a year. Two at the beginning of the season and then late in the season to sell samples. I made so many friends and Kristin found her wonderful baby-sitting clients through Just Ducky. These families are still very important to her! Your Dad helped me a lot with these shows. He built my lattice work for the study where most of the clothes were for the regular shows. The shows you remember with the racks were the sample shows. Your Dad did the mailing list and printed off the labels and helped me get the invitations ready. Just like I helped him with all of this Hogan and Assoc. mailings, he helped me too.

I continued doing Just Ducky as long as I could..even after we moved to Franklin. It was hard to give up but when I started working 6 days a week I just could not handle it anymore. I am honored that the first post on this new wonderful family blog was Just Ducky. It was very important to me in a lot of ways!

-Harriet

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay...I added my first. Tell me if I am not doing something right.

This is such fun!

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.